My helpers and I whipped up a batch of pumpkin bread this morning, the first time we have tried this. (I should clarify that this is a loaf pumpkin bread, not a pumkin bread cake for which I shared my recipe 3 years ago.) I used this recipe for Downeast Maine Pumpkin bread from All Recipes, but made some modifications. It still turned out moist and delicious!
Here is the recipe as I did it:
- 1 can (15 oz) pumpkin
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease and flour 3 7 x 3 loaf pans (one of mine is 9 x 5, and I only have 2 pans, but this worked fine for 2 loaves as well. I baked the larger loaf an extra 5 minutes.
- Combine pumpkin, eggs, sugars, and water and mix until well blended. I did this by hand, with a wisk.
- Whisk together dry ingredients.
- Add pumpkin mixture to dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake 50 minutes at 350.
The helpers loved it. My son said it tastes just like Starbucks’!