Every year as the air turns crisp and it comes time to don cozy clothes, I crave pumpkin. Yesterday was no exception, but I did not want to make pumpkin bread using either of the recipes I have used in the past. I wanted something fast and easy, but something that would turn out soft and delicious. This is what I came up with.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. cinnamon (ground)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. ground allspice
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup Crisco shortening (1/2 stick)
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 can pumpkin
- Preheat oven to 350 with rack in middle.
- Cream eggs, sugar, pumpkin, Crisco, and molasses.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- Add creamed wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Spread into lightly greased (use what’s left on the Crisco shortening wrapper) 9 x 13 baking pan.
- If desired, sprinkle top with chopped walnuts (for an even yummier topping, try mixing 1/2 cup walnuts with 1/4 cup brown sugar and 2 TB melted butter. Spread over top of bread).
- Bake at 350 degrees 25-30 minutes.
Caution: this is soft, moist, and addicting. Do not eat all in one sitting!!! Enjoy the flavors of fall!